Degrees At Sea
Our seafarer-friendly degree pathway means you can gain qualifications without stepping ashore.
If you need an academic qualification to open doors ashore but don’t have the time or money, then work-based learning is for you.
As partners with University of Portsmouth, we are able to offer serving seafarers opportunities to gain higher academic qualifications. These courses allow you to integrate your current qualifications, experience and study all while you work, meaning it’s easier to fit around your job.
You may be eligible for a Worcester Scholarship toward your course fees.
University of Portsmouth Learning At Work programme offers you a wide range of work-based and distance learning courses suited to the unconventional lifestyle of seafarers.
The qualifications on offer are:
- Bachelors degree: top up an HNC/HND/FD to an honours degree
- Masters degree: trade on your professional qualifications and experience to get an academic qualification
Both are available in the following subjects:
- Professional Studies
- Maritime Studies
- Engineering Studies
- Engineering and Management Studies
- Engineering Project Management
- Plus more!
Is this the right course for me?
If you’re looking for a qualification that will allow you to transfer into a different role, then this is a good way to do that.
You can study wherever is most convenient for you and schedule your studies around your existing commitments. You can tailor your course to match your employer's objectives.
You get to put the skills you learn to work instantly in your job, so you perform better and further contribute to the success of your company while you study.
Because the course is work-based, you should already be in a full-time, part-time or voluntary role
Benefits to you
- Your previous qualifications and experience can count towards your degree, which reduces the amount of time you need to study
- You can study for a UK Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from anywhere in the world
- You can tailor the pace of learning to suit demands on your time
- Your learning leads to professional and career enhancement, because what you learn is related to your job
For Officers, your HNC may be worth as much as 120 credits, whilst a HND may be worth as much as 240 credits at undergraduate level.
For Chief Engineer/Master Mariners holding Class One Certificate of Competency (Unlimited), with five years relevant post certificate experience and a minimum of two years relevant sea-going experience can get as much as 120 credits at postgraduate level.
To find out how details on applying, please call us on: 020 7654 7050 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.